Home Browse The Images! Image Donors FAQ How you can help BurningWell.org Terms & Conditions
BurningWell.org Frequently Asked Questions (Users)
- How may I use the images in the BurningWell repository?
The images in the BurningWell repository are in the public domain. Basically, this means that you
are allowed to use the images freely for any purpose, commercial or private.
You do not have to pay to use them, or even acknowledge or give credit to the BurningWell repository or original photographer (unless you are feeling generous).
When recognizable people appear in any of the images, the photographers have obtained a "model release" and assigned all rights to the public domain. This allows the images to be used in any manner, including advertising.
- Where do the images come from? Most of the images are donated by photographers (both professional and private) who believe that great images should be shared. In some cases the donors remain anonymous, and in others the photo description contains the photographer's name and perhaps a URL to their website. You are encouraged to give photo credit when the photographer is known to acknowledge their work, but are not required to do so.
- I have an image I would like to donate, how do I do so? Please read the Donors FAQ for more information.
- Do other websites offer Free and/or Public Domain images?
Some websites offer "free" images with some restrictions on how you can use them:
- Wikimedia commons
- Dorling Kindersley free images - Immense range, limited resolution (typically 500px longest edge)
- Images promoting wilderness preservation
- http://www.pics4learning.com - Variable quality, licence terms not clear outside academia.
- http://gallery.hd.org/index.jsp Generally free, but with some restrictions.
- Geek Philosopher's Free Stock Photos
- NASA/FWS/NOAA photos recategorized
- Over a Gig of Flower Images
- Flickr.com hosts images, some of which are in the Public Domain
- NASA Image Exchange (NIX)
- NASA Visible Earth
- US Fish & Wildlife Service
- Copyright-Free Stock Photos - NASA/FWS/NOAA photos recategorized
- If you know of a website that should be listed here, please let us know and we'll add a link.
- Why did you start BurningWell.org? I was working on a pamphlet, and looking for high resolution photos to use. I found a lot of photo sharing sites on the Internet, but a lack of sites that host completely public domain photos for people to use for whatever purpose they wanted. At the same time, I had several good photos that I was willing to give away. So I started BurningWell.org to host public domain pictures so that others who needed stock photography could get photos for free.
- I have another question not answered here.
Please send it via email to: question (at) burningwell.org
Communications about the "Textures" sub area should be sent directly to Titus Tscharntke who has graciously volunteered as the "Textures" administrator. You can reach him at textures (at) burningwell.org