Home Browse The Images! Users FAQ How you can help BurningWell.org Terms & Conditions
BurningWell.org Frequently Asked Questions (Donors)
- Can I donate images with people in them?
Yes, but only if you have obtained rights to use their likeness
with a Model Release Form as stated in the Terms and Conditions.
Please upload a scan of the model release form with the image. For more information, here is a good article about why and when model release forms are needed. You can also donate photos which have people who are not recognizable (e.g. in a crowd scene, in shadows, or from the back.) without obtaining a model release form.
- How can I donate an image to the BurningWell repository?
Donating an image is easy. You don't even need to register. Simply navigate to the "Upload" album by clicking on the "Upload New Images Here" image and then select the "add items" menu on the left hand menu bar.
Please be sure to read and agree to the Terms of Service, specifically the part about assigning all rights you have over any images you upload to the public domain. Once an image is uploaded, you have donated it to the Public Domain.
- What technical requirements are there? We desire high quality (1600x1200 pixels or larger) images in the JPEG format, using JPEG quality levels of 90-95%. Images substantially smaller than this requirement may not be accepted. Exceptions will be made for texture images, which may be smaller. We do not have a maximum image size limit, but reserve the right to shrink any file that is of a problematic size. Illustrations, textures, or line art may use the PNG format.
- How do I take a "good" photograph or texture image? You may want to check out this tutorial on how to photograph good textures. Or this tutorial on how to avoid common problems.
- What if I change my mind and want my image removed? We certainly do not wish to host any images that the photographer does not want on our site. Send us an email [admins (at) burningwell.org] and we will be happy to remove any image you have uploaded. However (and this is a big one) you have already agreed to donate the image to the public domain when you uploaded it. If any person downloads the image before you ask that it be removed, they are free to use it in any way they wish, as the image is in the public domain. So, if there is any question in your mind about whether or not you want to donate an image to the public domain, please do not upload it until you are 100% certain.
- I saw another image in the repository I would like to use, may I? Yes! Please read the users FAQ for more information.
- What's the policy on credit citations and watermarks? If you would like credit, please include our name/email and website URL in the caption/description of the photo. The Image User's FAQ encourages the users to give photo credit whenever possible, but, because it's public domain, you can't force people to behave nicely. Images with watermarks may be accepted if the watermark does not reduce the utility of the image or attempt to claim copyrights which have been expressly released by the process of releasing the photograph into the public domain.
- I have another question not answered here. Please send it via email to: question (at) burningwell.org